Monday, April 18, 2016

Entry #5 Sparky Just Tore 15 week Courses in Half!

They say patience is a virtue, but when it comes to schooling, my patience runs short. I say the sooner it’s over and I can start doing what I really want to the better…That’s why I was so excited to see this article by the Arizona Republic reporting that ASU had started offering 8 week courses.

That’s right, a student could now (in theory) complete their bachelor degree in 3 years instead of four. The article even claims that taking classes in this way could save a student money. The school says “Arizona residents who attend on campus do not pay additional tuition for any credit hours above seven during a 15-week period.” So any credits over seven are free! This means you could get a whole bunch of classes completed for cheap and quickly. Even better these courses allow both students and teachers more flexibility with their schedules.

Of course, there is a cost, students lose a week of winter break, though they will now get a few days off in the fall.


I really can’t think of any downfall here other than 8 week courses are really tough. I have taken several 8 week courses in my college career so far, and they are a little challenging. But, the advantages are many and I have to say I am very excited to know that ASU has adopted these 8 week courses. Though it is not surprising seeing as the school  named most innovative university  of 2015 by U.S. News & World Report. Go Sun Devils! 

No comments:

Post a Comment